Managing Editor–NOCO Regional Lifestyle Magazine
Join the most respected regional print publication in the Northern Colorado community. NOCO Style magazine has an immediate opportunity for a highly motivated, organized managing editor, with at least five years of staff management to join our growing team.
Our ideal candidate will hold a master’s degree, have work experience in communication- or journalism-related field, have strong communication, writing, editing, and proofreading skills, and possess the ability to multi-task in a deadline-oriented work environment.
The position requires strong project management. The managing editor will be responsible for smooth, on-time editorial flow and facilitation of the editorial, production, and sales departments as they pertain to magazine production. The managing editor creates the editorial calendar with the publisher, manages story assignments of in-house and freelance reporters, edits copy, communicates with the publisher, stays informed of current events and regional happenings, retains existing and fosters new relationships with societies, and leads the production process.
We’re looking for a professional, motivated, relationship-focused individual who understands the Northern Colorado market. We are a small company with an informal, team-oriented work environment. We welcome local applicants with the following skills and experience:
• Developing annual and monthly editorial calendars and maintaining master and monthly issue maps
• Soliciting new department writers and freelance writers
• Providing feedback, constructive comments, and training for writers
• Managing editorial budgets and contracts
• Managing workload of editorial staff
• Assigning articles to staff and freelance writers, editing articles for publication
• Completing and/or coordinating special projects as assigned
• Proofreading/copy editing editorial as well as marketing and advertising content
• Brainstorming ways to improve/enhance print, e-newsletter, and website
• Taking story ideas, tips, and concerns and responding quickly and efficiently
• Reading and evaluating content submissions for editing, verification of facts, and readiness for print, approval of final versions
• Writing breaking news and investigative reports
• Responsible for Letter from the Editor and other small written pieces in monthly publication, occasionally responsible for larger written pieces in monthly issues and online
• Managing workload of production staff to ensure smooth copy flow and pagination
• Assisting production staff in gathering images and/or assigning photography to staff and freelance photographers for compelling magazine layouts
• Coordinating with production staff on the creative layout of monthly magazine
• Coordinating overall production schedule from copy assignment through managing timely production of monthly magazine
• Representing brand at regional events
• At least five years of management experience in the publications industry
• Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree preferred
• Excellent command of the English language
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Ability to multi-task in a deadline-oriented environment
• Attention to detail and organization
• Experience in AP style writing
• Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
• Proficient in word press and digital posting
• Experience with InDesign
The workload is approximately 25 hours a week. Salary range is $40,000-50,000 based on experience. Applicants must be flexible during proofing weeks. We are based in Loveland, at desk chair workspace. This is not a telecommuting position. Only local candidates will be considered. No relocation is available.
Please respond with a cover letter and your resumé. For consideration, your application package must include your salary requirements. Email email@example.com.