The city of Loveland, Colorado, is seeking candidates for the current position of Veronica Patterson, Loveland Poet Laureate. This person will take up the charge initiated by initial Poet Laureate, Veronica Patterson. The position will begin April 2022 and run through March 2024.
All interested candidates must be:
- A resident of Loveland, or a person who has a strong affiliation with Loveland.
- At least 18 years of age
- A published poet
- Have experience in public readings and presentations
- Willing to create and read poems for a variety of city events
- Available to attend various city events as designated
The selection of a Loveland Poet Laureate will be based on artistic excellence, a demonstrated history of community service in the advancement of poetry along with the ability to present poetry effectively. A panel will be convened to review applications, conduct interviews of finalists, and make recommendations to the Loveland City Council. City Council will make the appointment.
- A completed Loveland Poet Laureate Application form
- Completed answers to questions provided by the Loveland Poet Laureate committee
- A resume including a listing of your local, regional and national activities in the poetry community.
- A list of your publications and poetry readings
- Up to ten pages of your poetry
- If available, no more than five minutes of a poetry reading you have presented. (Please submit a video version, You Tube, etc.)
- Name and phone numbers of 3 references
Additional Application Information
- Loveland Poet Laureate Application packets will be available beginning on January 12, 2022 by email request to email@example.com
- Deadline Date for receipt of applications is March 1, 2022 by 5:00 PM MST
- Return all applications and presentation materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For questions contact Veronica Patterson at email@example.com or, by calling (970) 669-7010
The Purpose and History of the Loveland Poet Laureate Program
Poetry is a necessary way for us to see the world around us—the immediate community, the state, the country, and the earth itself. As the proclamation establishing the program noted, poetry offers a way to bring the community together and helps us make sense of the world we live in. Reading and writing poetry give children and adults alike an outlet for their feelings, experiences, and emotions. (Reading poetry also helps children develop their vocabulary, critical analytical skills, and reading comprehension.)
The Loveland Poet Laureate program was created in 2019 and the Loveland City Council appointed Veronica Patterson as Loveland’s first Poet Laureate on April 2, 2019 for a two-year term. Due to program restrictions made during the Covid-19 epidemic, she agreed to continue her term for one more year until a new Loveland Poet Laureate could be appointed. The Poet Laureate Advisory Committee along with staff from the City of Loveland have been charged with creating a process for the succession.